[Tagging] RFC - Discourage railway=preserved

Kai Michael Poppe - OSM osm at poppe.dev
Sun Apr 11 21:52:44 UTC 2021

Good evening Stefan,

I find "half-baked proposal" to be a rather harmful verdict on someone else's work and thought process, and I am trying very hard not to be discouraged and slipping into any kind of resignation over this topic.

I for one wouldn't see a Talk-page that needed to be locked to stop an edit war a very helpful example of community consensus, but that might just be me.

So, while this tagging incoheseveness has been going on for about 6 years, with OpenRailwayMappers talking about a way to preserve data rather than throwing them out and obvioulsy (from taginfo) people accepting the extended tagging scheme, I would find it very hard to come up with a soultion so late in the game.

My proposal was a way to create "closure" to this (admittedly small) number of usages (with around 20k in total), not to rip up a new can of worms.

If you really think, that "preserved=yes/no" is a better (more clear, structured and helpful) tag than railway:preserved=yes/no then please say so - I wouldn't be convinced from a first look that it would be used in the correct context - solely my own opinion, of course.

Kai