[Tagging] Removing landuse=military from military=barracks

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 08:43:06 UTC 2021

On 13/04/2021 05:52, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> As part of the military=bases proposal, military=barracks were
> correctly re-defined as the buildings where military personnel live &
> sleep only, rather than being used to describe the entire base area.

Or perhaps "incorrectly redefined"?  Your page seems to contradict
itself - at the top it says:

>   * building <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building>=*
>     /mandatory when the area is a single building/
>   * landuse <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=military
>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dmilitary>
>     /mandatory when the area is not just one building/

and lower down it says:

> Prior to January 2021, this tag was defined as "Military barracks
> where soldiers live and work", and on older features this tag may
> still have this meaning, which is similar to the newer tag military
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:military>=base
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:military%3Dbase>.

So which part of your page is correct - the top part (which would make
your complaint about iD moot) or the bottom part (which seems to try and
redefine a tag that has an existing meaning in OSM, which is surely a
mistake)?

What iD does seems compliant with what the top part of what your page
says, and also with how I personally would always have mapped a military
barracks (but probably never have).

Best Regards,

Andy