[Tagging] Removing landuse=military from military=barracks

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 09:05:14 UTC 2021

On 13/4/21 6:43 pm, Andy Townsend wrote:

> On 13/04/2021 05:52, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
>> As part of the military=bases proposal, military=barracks were
>> correctly re-defined as the buildings where military personnel live &
>> sleep only, rather than being used to describe the entire base area.
>>
> Or perhaps "incorrectly redefined"?  Your page seems to contradict
> itself - at the top it says:
>
>>   * building <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building>=*
>>     /mandatory when the area is a single building/
>>   * landuse
>>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=military
>>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dmilitary>
>>     /mandatory when the area is not just one building/
>>
> and lower down it says:
>
>> Prior to January 2021, this tag was defined as "Military barracks
>> where soldiers live and work", and on older features this tag may
>> still have this meaning, which is similar to the newer tag military
>> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:military>=base
>> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:military%3Dbase>.
>
> So which part of your page is correct - the top part (which would make
> your complaint about iD moot) or the bottom part (which seems to try
> and redefine a tag that has an existing meaning in OSM, which is
> surely a mistake)?
>
> What iD does seems compliant with what the top part of what your page
> says, and also with how I personally would always have mapped a
> military barracks (but probably never have).

Yes, bit mixed. I would think

building=military - mandatory, with

military=barracks - mandatory on the same way/node as the above building.

Then

landuse=military  mandatory on the surrounding area, how big that area
is depends on the military base. A one building barracks would still be
a military area?

I would not refer to the past, just when this tag was redefined, reduces
confusion by not mentioning the past definition.

And yes, I would simply delete the confusing test.