[Tagging] Removing landuse=military from military=barracks

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 00:21:35 UTC 2021

Thanks everyone.

Yes, it is a little bit messy, partially due to being modified by multiple
people, & partially my fault for not recognising the historical settings,
but here goes!

Originally, military=barracks was defined as the "building where soldiers
live and work", but was incorrectly used as applying to the whole area of a
military base, so it was combined with landuse=military.

Since it has been redefined as "buildings where military personnel live and
sleep", it should now only be used on individual, or a group of, buildings,
almost invariably found inside a base area. With the current mandatory
combination with landuse=military, it means that you have landuse=military
+ military=barracks nested inside an area of landuse=military +
military=base, which is a bit awkward. Not Earth-shattering by any means,
but I'm certain that it would do something somewhere?

In those very rare cases that you have a stand-alone barracks block that
isn't part of a larger base, then yes, you could still add landuse=military
to that building area, but it should no longer be listed as mandatory for
all cases of =barracks.

Does that help clarify things?

Thanks

Graeme