[Tagging] How to tag Seasonal only presence?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 08:47:40 UTC 2021

On 15/4/21 12:57 pm, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Question thanks re how to tag that lifeguards (or anybody / anything
> else for that matter!) are only present at a location during "this"
> season.
>
> The key https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lifeguard is intended
> to be used when you want to add lifeguard=yes to a beach / pool /
> resort etc, to show that there is a lifeguard there, but they may not
> be in a fixed position i.e. walking around. I wrote it as:
>
> /If the lifeguard is there for only part of the year, tag as
> lifeguard=seasonal / summer./
>
> to show that lifeguards may only be present during this season /
> summer, but the beach / pool / resort is there / open all year round.
>
> Another mapper has now gone in & changed that to:
>
> /If the lifeguard is there for only part of the year, add seasonal
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:seasonal>=yes or specify the
> exact season with seasonal
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:seasonal>=spring/summer/autumn/winter./
>

> Doesn't that then say, if it's been added to a beach, that the beach
> is only there seasonally / over "summer"?
>
> I haven't yet spoken to them, as I first wanted to check the proper
> way of doing it?

'Proper way'? This is OSM ... any tags you like :)

Probably best to have it as a separate way .. they may not cover the
whole beach ???

Working around the problem .. use opening_hours=* ... has a free text
mode so you can just add it in text. Or you can try for more detailed
stuff...

Arr then there is conditional

/lifeguard at conditional=yes @ spring;summer ????/

/