[Tagging] Place of worship key - approved?

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Mon Apr 19 19:23:57 UTC 2021

> In particular if the POW is _not_ in a building, or a building, the building=* key cannot be applied.

This isn't disputed. Obviously it can't be applied. The place_of_worship=holy_well tag is an accepted tag. The discrepancy comes when it _IS_ in a building.

> Further I cannot agree to mark tags like place_of_worship=chapel as a "tagging mistake", as currently done on the wiki, it is just a different semantic focus by the mapper using it.

Maybe! But it's 1) barely used, 2) undocumented, 3) not proposed/accepted, and 4) never been discussed (until now) and 5) goes against an already established tagging practice. It was my understanding therefore that it would be classed as a potential mistake until points 1-4 change.

Cheers.