[Tagging] Place of worship key - approved?

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Mon Apr 19 18:28:55 UTC 2021

On 19.04.2021 11:43, nathan case wrote:

> I guess if place_of_worship=* is being used alongside amenity=place_of_worship and building=* (e.g. amenity=place_of_worship, building=chapel, place_of_worship=chapel) then that would be fine but it would appear to be a little superfluous.

No. They have a different semantic.

building=* describes the type of the building.
place_of_worship=* describes the type of the place_of_worship.

In particular if the POW is _not_ in a building, or a building, the building=* key cannot be applied.

Further I cannot agree to mark tags like place_of_worship=chapel as a "tagging mistake",
as currently done on the wiki, it is just a different semantic focus by the mapper using it.

tom