[Tagging] Proposed features/trailblazed=poles; cairns; symbols ... Approved

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 13:34:16 UTC 2021

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 5:03 AM Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:

>    - Tag trailblazed=no may not be used too often. This probably makes
>    sense only when there is blazing highly expected, but not exists.
>

> Still fuzzy... Trying to come up with an example:
> trailblazed=no indicates that blazing is expected, but doesn't exist. This
> could e.g. be the case in snowy areas where the trail is visible on the
> ground only in the summer.

I've hiked trails in wilderness areas that are intentionally left unblazed.
In a busy season or if it hasn't snowed recently, you can follow others'
tracks, plus you can sometimes see signs of maintenance such as removal of
downed trees from the treadway. Usually there will be a cairn marking the
turnoff from a blazed trail, and that's often about all there is for
waymarking. Since hikers from elsewhere often expect that if there's a
trail on the map, there will be waymarking, `trailblazed=no` could be
useful for these.

There are also still trails blazed with hatchet cuts. They're getting
rarer, but since the cuts can be visible for decades, you still find them.
But we can add that later; I have mapped only one of these and called it
'unmarked' since the cuts are pretty grown in and hard to spot.