[Tagging] remove “rendering” from proposal template

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 05:52:28 UTC 2021

"Rendering Suggestions" sounds to me that I am supposed to provide examples. That's not the idea, is it? My idea is that the proposer should reflect on the impact of the proposed tagging on rendering (and other data use). This could be very simple e.g. when proposing tagging a new amenity node and suggesting an icon and an overpass query, but it could also be complicated when proposing a change to a long used problematic tagging scheme where all data users have implemented their own interpretation and preferences, and now get yet another tagging scheme on top of that.
It should answer the question: how is a renderer / data user supposed to make sense of this tagging, given the state of the database.

I see no harm in the proposer just providing rendering examples; then it's up to the RFC participants to ask for further reflection on the impact of the proposal on rendering/data use. E.g. by asking "How is a renderer/data user supposed to interpret this tagging, given that the database now contains.... Could you add that to the section Whateveritscalled?"

Peter Elderson