[Tagging] remove “rendering” from proposal template

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 18:18:25 UTC 2021

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 2:03 PM stevea <steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:

> Here, as Brian zooms out from the specific issue of "remove or include
> 'Rendering' from Proposals?, and/or put the word 'Suggested' in front of
> it," he ask us (correctly, imo) to weigh whether skewing the Proposal in a
> particular rendering direction "is worth the gain in approving (it)."  This
> would be worthy to do, IF the "Suggested Rendering" were REQUIRED to be
> "strongly associated" with the Proposal.

Suppose that someone proposes that tag "B" (which currently does not
render) should be a replacement for tag "A" (which currently DOES render).
If tag "B" were approved, and suddenly people started replacing tag "A"
with tag "B", we would suddenly see that feature start disappearing from
maps (until some future time that the renderer adds support for tag "B").
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about and it requires no sample
rendering, just an impact statement and/or transition plan.  I would
consider a proposal incomplete (bordering on dishonest) if it would
remove a currently rendering feature without clearly describing and
assessing that impact!

Further if someone proposes to expand the definition of tag "A" to include
additional features not currently tagged with tag "A", it could similarly
cause undesired behavior to downstream consumers/renderers that are
depending on the narrower definition of tag "A".