[Tagging] remove “rendering” from proposal template

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sat Apr 24 19:15:10 UTC 2021

I also agree with Marc_marc's sentiment that we are in a "confusing regression."

I've been trying to emphasize consensus and "no hard and fast rules" and "we continue to evolve Best Practices...".

There is a great desire to make all (syntax invention, semantic interpretation and expression...) scenarios predictable so that we can achieve consensus on understandable rules that can be comfortably applied, always working into a clear future.  The "language of mapping" appears to be (at least sometimes) so complex, we cannot always make such predictions and hammer out such perfect solutions for a future which has not yet been invented.

OSM does "make this up" as we go along.  Though especially in this very thread, I have frequently become tripped up by my own circuit breakers of logical failures in reasoning and expression of language.  I see that as a danger signal we are in deep water of misunderstanding one another and "biting off more than we can chew."

There is this topic, the topic of "moving towards saying 'suggested' about Rendering" (in proposals).  There is also the topic of how one tag might or does replace another.  I must say that "rendering" swirls around that second one, but the second one is not the first one.  These are two complex, separate topics, in essence, entire galaxies which move about each other in complex ways.

I feel we risk a breakdown in something should we press our ability to predict or control the future too much.  Let's (here, now) keep this thread to "what-about 'Suggested'" (and other associated reasonableness, like not-make-or-break-for-your-vote).  If what Brian posits with "B replaces A" is so deeply entrenched in this more-local topic we cannot ignore it (possible, but I'm now doubting it), this thread has become multiple orbiting galaxies with vast complexity.  Perhaps Brian wants to start another thread with that topic, as it is truly vast.  Maybe we circle back and patch up threads between them after separate discussion.  The water is only muddier with "a confusing regression."

Thank you, Marc_marc for stating it.  We don't want to go down a path where we unpredictably tear ourselves apart.