[Tagging] surface=gravel problems

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 07:35:04 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 27 Apr 2021, at 02:35, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal <bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> To add information to a map as to describe if unpaved roads are traversable in different seasons needs a different tagging scheme.  As was and is done on many old maps.  We have all-season roads, we have seasonal roads where you should describe the major hazards, being, dust, noise, smoothness and sliding in dry, wet and winter conditions.  A complete new tagging scheme.

something in this direction is already practiced with winter roads, maybe we only have to extend our tagging with respect to wet conditions?

> All efforts which we use today for smoothness and surface is just short term, non-conditional information

the smoothness tag is clearly coming from an area where paved road surfaces are predominant (you can see this from the definition and distribution of values). If it doesn’t work well for unpaved roads, that’s not a reason to deprecate it for everybody.

Cheers Martin