[Tagging] surface=gravel problems

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 19:56:55 UTC 2021

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 27 Apr 2021, at 02:35, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal <bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> To add information to a map as to describe if unpaved roads are traversable in different seasons needs a different tagging scheme.  As was and is done on many old maps.  We have all-season roads, we have seasonal roads where you should describe the major hazards, being, dust, noise, smoothness and sliding in dry, wet and winter conditions.  A complete new tagging scheme.
>
> something in this direction is already practiced with winter roads, maybe we only have to extend our tagging with respect to wet conditions?
If you mean the keys winter_road and/or ice_road, I find those hardly
helpfull to describe the road conditions and how feasible it is to use
these for different road users.
To some extend an attempt was made to resolve the issue with tracktype,
like in AUstralia and 4WD drive tagging.  However these refer to vehicle
types to describe how they can be used, doesn't give any information
what the hazards or conditions are.  SO I don't find these much
informative to make any conclusions in that regard either as in Africa
most of us are very skilled unpaved road drivers, even without 4WD
vehicles.  It doesn't give you a clue how it is to use these roads by
bicycle, on foot, wheel carriage, normal car, truck etc...

>> All efforts which we use today for smoothness and surface is just short term, non-conditional information
>
> the smoothness tag is clearly coming from an area where paved road surfaces are predominant (you can see this from the definition and distribution of values). If it doesn’t work well for unpaved roads, that’s not a reason to deprecate it for everybody.
I didn't say we should deprecate it, but I think we can agree on the
fact that, besides that it maybe says that are are potholes it doesn't
give you much information or conclusive ways to describe suitability or
comfort for different road user categories ?