[Tagging] surface=gravel problems

Michael Patrick geodesy99 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 04:08:23 UTC 2021

>>  suitable for global use from the equator to the Arctic Circle.

> Ah, so you're trying to come up with a new way of doing things that won't
> work in the Southern Hemisphere? :-)

Aside from a six month temporal offset, axial tilt and orbital eccentricity
, the Earth is somewhat symmetric. And, so compared to the Northern
Hemisphere, the U.S. Army has had relatively minimal operational activity
with large scale logistics below the equator since WW II (
https://www.coolantarctica.com/gallery/scenic/Earth.jpg ). Also, since most
of the world's population lives in the Northern Hemisphere (
https://am24.mediaite.com/tms/cnt/uploads/2010/08/world-pop-latitude.png ),
that probably covers most of the use cases. : -)

> Hmmm ... maybe the Chapter 5, Technical Reconnaissance – Route
> Classification of the  U.S. Army / US Marine Corps Engineer Reconnaissance
> manual ?
>

> Not one I've ever seen at the local book store, so please share!
Have no idea why the link dropped, but here it is:
https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-34-170.pdf

> Googling ”engineer reconnaissance” turns up several hits, though the
relevant chapter seems to be number 4 in the more recent ones.

All the chapters have some degree of relevance, "Chapter 5 Technical
Reconnaissance – Route Classification", brings the combination of factors
together. For the TL/DR crowd.

> Spontaneous reaction after a quick look: As a renderer, yes please!, but
good luck getting the not-technically-advanced mappers (who seem to be our
target demographic) to read, understand and apply all *that*!

Any exhaustive comprehensive original source is complex, an ontology is
basically a network of all possible relationships and qualities of the
nodes and links, and almost everything is a 'many-to-many' graph.
Typologies are a subset(s) of that graph which usually represent a tree
like hierarchy of the most commonly traversed links and nodes, and for any
sort of contact with ordinary people in the world, that typology is then
expresses as a 'key' which is an ordered traversal of a typology that gets
to the leaf nodes from the root with as few decisions ( usually binary or
trinary ) and links as possible. (
https://www.eekwi.org/explore/identification/dichotomous-tree-key ). Other
examples are the games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_questions and
'What's My animal".
Additionally, any sort of context can easily eliminate vast swathes of
nodes and links and reduce the graph. In praxis, as keys are used and edge
cases uncovered, the topology is revised, and if further edge cases occur,
one goes back to the original ontology. In the case of the army manual,
there is probably a small room full of cross referenced materials
justifying the content, and then if you look in the appendices, there are
forms which simplify or don't even require the manual - and in a given
field situation most of the forms have most of the choices redacted because
they simply don't apply to the neighborhood.

Cartography is, of course, this problem on steroids, because all
symbologies interact with each other in the visual field. I have deep, deep
respect for those OSM style sheets.

> > ( Martin ) wonder how much they care about bicycles, strollers or
> rickshaws :)

That, not surprisingly, is in another manuals for other specialties, for
instance  transport using dogs, llamas, horses, camels and other indigenous
transport available in a theatre ( Chapter 8 "Organization and Movement" in
Special Forces Use of Pack Animals FM 3-05.213 (FM 31-27)
https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-05-213.pdf ). I remember at one point
the US Army Air Rescue squadron kept a couple hundred huskies on staff for
dog sled duty - and from DTIC   "HUMAN POWERED VEHICLES IN SUPPORT OF
LIGHT INFANTRY
OPERATIONS": 'The study concludes that equipping U.S. light infantry units
with the bicycle would significantly improve their tactical mobility, yet
allow them to retain their present force design.' Service med-evac units
use rough terrain gurneys that are pretty much identical to rickshaws, and
tube artillery units use something similar for moving their rounds.

Strollers? The legendary Checkloslovakian Škoda Works arms manufacturer has
just released a stroller which is covered in the light armoured vehicle
category:
https://luxurylaunches.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/skoda-pram-3-600x450.jpg

Michael Patrick