[Tagging] Tagging "No" = "Unknown" (Was: seamark:bridge:clearance_height)

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 23:38:22 UTC 2021

 On Sun, 8 Aug 2021 at 02:30, DjTQnhSoc via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Really not sure how “unknown” ever came into existence,

This reminded me of something I've noticed a few times when mapping
recently, but must come up a lot. I'm not sure if it's an iD problem or
not, so I'll start by asking the question here.

I mapped a set of steps on a path, & the defaults on iD came up with
"handrail" & "tactile paving", both defaulted as "unknown", I clicked on
them both to select "no", but that doesn't register, although "yes" comes
up as handrail=yes. This set of steps is on a path in a bushland reserve, &
there is no railing or tactile paving, so why doesn't it accept no?

If you go down to the tags & actually enter handrail=no, it accepts it as
valid, so why not via the preset field?

Have also noticed the same thing with "salt" when mapping a pond, where it
will only accept yes - this pond is 1000m above sea-level, with a very tall
waterfall only a few 00 m downstream, so it's quite, quite definitely fresh
water!

As I said, is it an ID problem or not?

Thanks

Graeme