[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - landuse bush

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Wed Feb 3 20:33:31 UTC 2021

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 19:27:27 +0100 (CET)
Vincent van Duijnhoven via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> I understand that compared with e.g. landuse=residential or
> industrial, there is a notable difference. On the other hand,
> landuse=bush would in my opinion perfectly fit with the other landuse
> tags like village_green, grass, forest and flowerbed. Especially if
> the bushes are maintained by the government, isn't it then a landuse?

IMHO: no, neither is grass or flowerbed. There should be a distinction
between how people use an area and what it actually is. Unfortunately,
OSM uses the natural and landuse keys to mark both in an intertwined
way that does not make too much sense. See Jeron Hoek's reply later for
some more background on that or take a look at this document and the
related discussions/links and proposals:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Imagic/landcover

> About barrier=hedge, I think a clear distinction is its function. Is
> it purely a barrier or is the main function decorative. For example,
> the first and last of the four example images are decorative in my
> opinion. Yes, the limit movement but they are added for decorative
> purpose.

You don't need to explain your views to me but make these distinctions
clear in the proposal so that the wide variety of people that will
read it in the future does "the right thing"(tm). It might be hard for
someone to recognize the intent of such bushes (which you describe as
the defining attribute), and in some cases the bushes might be added to
provide both (IMHO they should get both tags in that case). The
documentation should take care to cover these edge cases.

> Village_green is a harder one. Atleast in the Netherlands, it is
> almost not used only sometimes at the very center of a village. I
> can't really comment on that one.

Maybe our british friends can phrase that out. I'd say the most
important difference is that landuse=bush would almost exclusively
comprise bushes and scrubs (maybe with some soil or grassy patches in
between) while village_green is way more accessible to humans on foot
and shows a wider variety of natural and artificial ground features.