[Tagging] Development of Tag Replacements (was: Feature Proposal - RFC - landuse bush)

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Feb 4 10:52:32 UTC 2021

Thanks for this summary!

I would also mention that for different tags different level of
acceptance and coordination is needed.

If tag is unused and noone supports it - barrier is much lower.
If alternative is already supported - barrier is much lower.
If tag is unimportant - barrier is much lower.

But if you want to deprecate something used over 10 000 000 times
and with a massive support everywhere...

> It's not a matter of votes. As you correctly say, this group here
> doesn't decide what OSM does; it doesn't have the mandate for such
> decisions, it cannot force anybody to do anything (and it should not).

The same for proposal process at wiki. It may be an argument,
sufficient in some cases - but vote on wiki, even succesful, is
not enough to deprecate for example landuse=forest.

Discussion on tagging list, OSM Wiki proposal process is not
order/mandate - it is rather suggestion/argument/proposal.

Feb 4, 2021, 11:27 by frederik at remote.org: