[Tagging] Draft proposal for historic cemetery

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 23:26:59 UTC 2021

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 23:10, Diego Cruz <ginkarasu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Martin Koppenhoefer,
>
> Is there a series of Baroque tombs? It's historic. Is it the last
> remaining Jewish cemetery of a region? It's historic.

The Baroque tombs may be historic, but unless they are the only tombs
then the cemetery is not historic.  I've not mapped any cemeteries with
historic tombs but I've mapped several graveyards with tombs that are
under heritage protection because of their historic significance: the
tombs are historic but the graveyard is not.

> Is Chopin buried there? It's historic.

Chopin's tomb may be historic, the rest of the cemetery is not.

> Is it the first cemetery of an Alaskan town founded in 1904? It's historic
> if the local users consider it to be.

You have just defined the first cemetery in any town anywhere to be historic
by virtue of being the first.  I strongly disagree with that
characterization.

I'd class Arlington National Cemetery in the US as historic, even though
it is still in use.  There are some civil war cemeteries that might qualify.
The Aisne-Marne American Cemetery in France qualifies.  Cemeteries
listed by the American Battle Monuments Commission are likely to qualify.

--
Paul