[Tagging] Deprecation - waterway=riverbank vs water=river

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Feb 11 07:33:19 UTC 2021

Feb 10, 2021, 15:43 by tomasstraupis at gmail.com:

> 2021-02-10, tr, 16:28 Marc_marc rašė:
>
>> this has already been voted (84% in favour) in 2011 [1]
>> the problem is therefore not the idea but the interminable transition
>> period and the inevitable "not of the same opinion as the result of the
>> vote)
>>

> The "voting" in wiki is totally non representative therefore it
> means absolutely nothing (or as we can see are damaging).

Number of people voting is definitely tiny.

But there are also many cases where it resulted in changing
proposed tagging schema for better
(traffic calming=hillocky vs circle_bumps vs mini_bumps is the
latest case, see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:traffic_calming%3Dmini_bumps
)

It is not absolute decision, but it has some meaning and some
usefullness.

>  Especially when we take into account that these proposals there
> created by people with 0 experience in fields that matter.

Are you considering
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/healthcare%3Dsample_collection
to be damaging something (I have 0 experience in that field,
that is why I am happy that this proposal was reviewed
bu others, including people who have more experience
with medicine - and given that noone handled tagging such
features, waiting for someone with the experience was not
a viable solution).

>  It is very sad and disturbing to see that OpenStreetMap fails to
> implement at least one of the safeguards against incompetent and
> destructive actions:
>  a) require at least minimal experience
>  b) provide hard limits on when some tagging can be changed or not

Requiring proposal process to pass is quite effective limit,
it is quite hard to succesfuly pass proposal that deprecates
widely used tags.

For (a) I kind of agree, it would be nice to ensure that people voting
in proposals have at least a minimal mapping experience
(maybe I will submit proposal changing that, I kind of tried it with
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/change_vote_counting_rules
- but for now at least I plan to submit
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/remove_link_to_Wikidata_from_infoboxes
and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/change_vote_counting_rules_-_remove_dead_rule
first
).

>  This leads to a classic situation of *** with a grenade decimating
> perfectly working parts of the system and there is no way to prevent
> that.

For blocking proposal that deprecates something for no (or insufficient)
benefit voting against is a typical method (and arguing against proposal,
like here).

There is noone with dictatorial powers that may just block something,
and that is a good thing.

Votes are announced on this mailing list.