[Tagging] Draft proposal for historic cemetery

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 17:01:53 UTC 2021

Diego,

The problem with this tag is that it is subjective. You have not provided
any verifiable, objective definition which can be used to determine if a
cemetery from 1850 should be tagged as historic or not.

We don't map subjective information like restaurant ratings, and we don't
map historical data which is no longer existing in the real world, like the
site of an ancient battle which is now developed into a
suburban residential estate.

The features under historic=* should have something real and current which
is mappable, and it should be possible to visit the location and confirm
that the tags are correct or incorrect.

Otherwise, enthusiastic mappers might add this tag to every churchyard and
cemetery in their area which is older than 50 years, and that provides less
information than start_date=* and is less verifiable.

-- Joseph Eisenberg