[Tagging] Deprecation - waterway=riverbank vs water=river

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 12 10:16:51 UTC 2021

On 11/02/2021 16:08, Tomas Straupis wrote:
> 2021-02-11, kt, 17:34 Dave F rašė:
>> IT "experts" can write code to suit all variations.
>    I see I need to clear up the difference between IT experts and coders...

I've come across this irrelevant obfuscation & deflection before in OSM.
Usually by those who are unwilling to adapt.

It always, repeat: always, entails them putting more time & effort into
arguing it on forums, than it would to change their code. Kind of sad
really.

>    When you will answer my question I will be able to provide my list :-)
>    The point is that people who do have to create/maintain those things
> understand that changing is much more than "two hours in JOSM".

OSM isn't about you. The database is not for your convenience.

>>>     What is a BENEFIT of changing waterway=riverbank to water=river when
>>> it marks exactly the same features?
>> I'm really surprised an IT expert can't see the data manipulation
>> benefits of all water features are covered by the same tags.
>    This would only be beneficial from coding perspective if you would
> NEED those features to be covered by the same tags. But in GIS/Carto
> you do NOT want to combine riverbanks with lakes/reservoirs or ponds,
> or basins.

They're not. water=lake is different from water=river but under the same
parent tag. Any IT expert would appreciate the benefits.

>    And secondary point: coding perspective is not important. Coders
> must adapt to business requirements not the other way round. That is
> one of "IT basics" :-)

Code must be amended to suit the data.

DaveF