[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - landuse bush

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 23:26:45 UTC 2021

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 at 21:01, Peter Neale via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> IMHO Scrub that has been managed is not scrub any more.
>
> The Wiki says, "The tag natural
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:natural>=scrub is used to tag
> areas of uncultivated land covered with shrubs, bushes or stunted trees."
>
> ..and see also, https://www.thefreedictionary.com/scrubland, which says,
>
> "
> scrub·land  (skrŭb′lănd′)
> *n.*
> An area of land that is uncultivated and covered with sparse stunted
> vegetation."
>

> So "natural=scrub + managed=yes"
>
> is an oxymoron.

What, then, would you call this area:

https://goo.gl/maps/b1gJHSyu2iwWPeWi9

Currently mapped as:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/434318204

It is not original, virgin, natural scrub as it was all planted to
stabilise the sand dunes along the beach, but since then, it's basically
been left to re-shoot naturally, although Council do trim trees that come
across the path, & also remove weeds, but I'm still happy with
natural=scrub + leisure=nature_reserve as it's closed to the general public
to prevent erosion.

"Maintained"? That would depend on what we want to call maintained? Is it
neat & carefully trimmed? No. Are branches lopped when necessary & weeds
pulled? Yes.

& also:

https://goo.gl/maps/hj7UpiqKWYGXamHA7

(Incidentally, since those images were taken, those plants have all grown &
filled out quite a bit, & a few of them are very spiky, so I wouldn't try
walking through without a machete in hand!)

So what are they? Garden / hedge / scrub? Yes, they are carefully
maintained, but also, as you can see, not the same plants repeated in a
nice neat line.

I'd once again call it natural=scrub, maintained=yes.

Thanks

Graeme