[Tagging] alias and transition (was: Deprecation - waterway=riverbank vs water=river)

Marc_marc marc_marc at mailo.com
Mon Feb 15 11:48:03 UTC 2021

Le 15.02.21 à 10:43, Martin Koppenhoefer a écrit :
> if we want to allow for smooth transitions (others might say, eternal
> double tagging) between competing tagging schemes, we can not discourage
> the simultaneous application of synonymous "main" tags or combinations
> on the _same_ element.

these are two unrelated things:

- during a transition period, you can very well make 2 tags cohabit
during a time limited for a smooth transition both on the contributor
side and the datause. it is a gain in quality to do so, so as not to
cause a degraded period.

- outside the transition period, in the long term, there is no gain in
not eliminating these aliases, it is a waste of time for everyone and it
causes inconsistencies (if an object has the 2 "alias tags" and a
contributor changes one of the 2, we end up with an object with a bit of
meaning coming from the previous situation and a bit of meaning from the
new situation).