[Tagging] Evaporation pond = berm vs embankment

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 12:12:34 UTC 2021

Folks,

In the currently voting proposal[1] for evaporation ponds/basins,
there is a list of suggested ancillary tagging for nearby tagging
features.  The proposal (and indeed, the prior approved tailings pond
proposal [2]) suggests the little-used tag barrier=berm instead of the
established man_made=embankment.  This tagging suggestion was made, in
error, by me when drafting the tailings pond proposal and carried
forward into the evaporation pond proposal.

Despite an RFC, and subsequent vote on tailings ponds, and an RFC and
now vote on evaporation basins, this error was only spotted in the
last few days (thanks Jeisenbe for the catch), and has been changed on
the wiki page for man_made=tailings_pond.

Since this tag is 100% ancillary to the actual tagging being proposed
for approval/deprecation, I am updating the evaporation basin proposal
to correct this error (substitute the embankment tag for the berm tag)
without restarting the vote.

However, if anyone objects to the change, please speak up, and I will
restart the vote.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Evaporation_basin
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tailings_pond