[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Couloir 2

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Feb 21 13:30:48 UTC 2021

Feb 18, 2021, 21:43 by walker.t.bradley at gmail.com:

> Dear All,
>
> I’m curious about the applicability of definitions.  If we have a substantial community that uses a certain feature, and is clear about how to tag it, does it matter for the rest of the community?

Yes. For example clear definition, understandable to anyone interested is useful if:

- someone is interested in mapping given feature and looks for info how it should be mapped
(I am exactly in this situation with couloir - I just visited place where it would be useful
and I was unsure for which features it would be applicable[1])

- people mapping specific feature disagree about something
(without accepted definition it is basically impossible to resolve this)

- someone wants given feature to be processed or someone is contacted by
someone who wants this feature to be processed
(I was in this situation with multiple tags, lack of clear tagging situation is very often problematic
and blocks implementation )

- someone is processing related data and is not sure whatever some tag should be ignored
or taken into account (that is why I improved addr:conscriptionnumber documentation in 2019[2],
I needed to research it anyway to implement part of StreetComplete)
Fortunately in this case research was quite straightforward, tag was well designed - just
not documented in English.

and probably also in other situations.

[1] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Morskie_Oko_o_poranku.jpg
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:addr:conscriptionnumber&action=history