[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - shrubbery

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 15:34:42 UTC 2021

Not in my opinion Vincent, I would even say that it makes it more clear
if accompanied with a good definition.  I would say shrubbery creates
more confusion, as it refers specifically to a gardening concept where
it says it should contain a path.  It is also not a common term used in
common language in most English speaking countries.  I even doubt, since
it's British cultural history, it has an equivalent in any other
language, which might cause translation issues for our wiki pages.

This in my opinion is not the case for shrub.  To my research scrub is
more commonly used to describe biomes and mostly in the scientific world.
Since it long history and common use it existed in OSM, and due to the
lack of an alternative shrubs it was used also to map the shrubs as you
describe in your proposal.
Last year the UN started a very large project with the UN mappers to map
natural features in the DRC and some neighbouring countries.  This will
give us landcover, or natural mapping as you wish, to cover nearly 1/3th
of the continent.  Scrub is used in that project consistently to map all
land with scrub and shrubs, even in villages.  Urbanised areas are
mapped using landuse=residential.  This project aims at mapping large
areas.  There was still a gap for detailed mapping in regard to urban
areas and villages. So also in this context I see your proposal as a
valuable and justified addition, but I think no one in these projects
will go and search for a "shrubbery" tag.
In my opinion, if not perfect, the best term seen so far with the least
objections, we should go for it.

Greetings,

Bert Araali