[Tagging] Use of highway=track vs highway=service cemeteries, parks, allotment gardens, golf courses, and recreation areas

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Fri Feb 26 15:45:34 UTC 2021

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 09:48:09AM -0800, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> Is it appropriate to use highway=track for minor access ways in parks,
> allotments, recreation grounds, cemeteries, and golf courses?
>
> I've just updated the highway=track page after there was a long discussion
> by US based mappers and addition of a USA-specific section.
>
> It appears that the debatable uses of highway=track in the USA are the same
> issues that I've seen in Europe and Indonesia, so I've re-written a couple
> sections of the page to mention that the tag can be used for roads to
> access areas for firefighting, hunting, fishing, birdwatching, gathering
> mushrooms, and so on, in addition to logging and agriculture, and that they
> can be used for purely recreational purposes. There is now also a section
> about debatable usage (e.g. for any unpaved road, or for any rough/slippery
> road, things which can be specified with surface=, tracktype= and
> smoothness= however).
>
> One question that is not clear globally is if use of highway=track for
> minor access ways in parks, allotments, recreation grounds, cemeteries, and
> golf courses is correct as similar to agricultural, forestry and
> recreational use, or if it is more appropriate to use highway=service.
>
> It seems this is done commonly in parts of the USA and I've seen it in
> Poland and some places in Germany too, but there also seem to be mappers
> who consider it incorrect tagging.

My personal preference is that Tracks are for Agricultural, Logging and
possibly firefighting in the Woods or Countryside. Every track within
and landuse=residential leisure something is most likely an error (My
Point of View)

For ways which are not public, used for whatever purpose within build up
structures, settlements, leisure, residential, commercial, industrial
we have service.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                     f at zz.de