[Tagging] Automatic edit: access=visitors --> access=customers

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Fri Feb 26 16:51:53 UTC 2021

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 10:56:23 +0100
Sören alias Valor Naram <valinora at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,

> cumberstoned over `access=visitors` which is not documented and which I
> and also others believe should be `access=customers`. This would be a
> less problematic automatic edit you will definitely like and which can
> show how important and sometimes unproblematic they are.
>
> Before writing
> a proposal for it I'm willing to hear your thoughts on this. I also
> believe that automatic edits help to correct tagging mistakes when done
> properly and following UNIX philosophy.

Hi,

it would have been helpful to give an overview of current use first.
You wrote that you *believe* to know how it is used. As others have
stated that is not exactly promising - you should ask and research
that before thinking about writing a definition/proposal.

Then you would have found a problem: the tag obviously has been
"invented" by many people around the globe. There are about 200 usages
but they are widely spread and roughly follow the density of OSM data
(widely used in various European countries and USA (east coast),
sporadic usage elsewhere).

Also, its usage does not seem to follow a clear pattern: I have checked
some places within my wider region of central Europe only and even there
I would find it very hard to define it precisely. Usages include:

Parking lots/aisles attached to
 - governmental office
 - cemetery (4x)
 - industrial areas (3x)
 - commercial area
 - church
 - paddock/equestrian centre
 - school

I also found it on entrances/gates to museums (2x).

Good luck finding a definition that fits all of them without overlapping
access=customers.

IMHO we should not establish access=visitors but document its
deprecation. customers should be used instead and this should be made
more clear in its documentation.