[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - shop as post-partner

Georg georg2016 at nurfuerspam.de
Sun Feb 28 10:59:02 UTC 2021

Am 2021-02-28 um 03:30 schrieb Minh Nguyen:

>> Please help to find a better wording, see also below.
>
> From a U.S. perspective, the term "post office" in everyday speech is
> associated with official USPS post offices and, to some extent,
> USPS-branded approved postal providers. Perhaps it would've been
> intuitive to reserve amenity=post_office for only these branch
> locations. But U.S. mappers have been using the tag more broadly

As far as I understand you, the term "post office" in everyday language
does match different objects (only a subset) than the OSM tag. To me,
that makes the impression a refined OSM tagging makes sense from US
perspective, i.e. one that distinguishes between the USPS and others
just like everday language does. Is that conclusion appropriate? Does
the proposal seem suitable?

> But if we're creating a new secondary tag, then
> maybe a more generic term would be helpful.

You're welcome to suggest :)

Greetings, Georg