[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - shop as post-partner

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sun Feb 28 11:51:22 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 02:59 2021-02-28, Georg đã viết:

> Am 2021-02-28 um 03:30 schrieb Minh Nguyen:
>
>>> Please help to find a better wording, see also below.
>>
>> From a U.S. perspective, the term "post office" in everyday speech is
>> associated with official USPS post offices and, to some extent,
>> USPS-branded approved postal providers. Perhaps it would've been
>> intuitive to reserve amenity=post_office for only these branch
>> locations. But U.S. mappers have been using the tag more broadly
>
> As far as I understand you, the term "post office" in everyday language
> does match different objects (only a subset) than the OSM tag. To me,
> that makes the impression a refined OSM tagging makes sense from US
> perspective, i.e. one that distinguishes between the USPS and others
> just like everday language does. Is that conclusion appropriate? Does
> the proposal seem suitable?

IMO it's only a little awkward and I'm personally OK with continuing to
use amenity=post_office broadly like this. Some of these non-post
offices really want you to think of them as post offices. There are
already plenty of ways for a data consumer to distinguish a USPS post
office from another kind of send-and-receive-something shop that isn't
run by USPS: name, brand, operator:type, etc.

The proposed post_partner tagging scheme does relate to a real-world
phenomenon, but as I pointed out, it's just a special case of secondary
branding that we don't really have a general tagging scheme for yet.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us