[Tagging] Making public transit tagging orthogonal across the map

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Jan 2 01:07:28 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 5:36 PM Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 07:24:23 +0800
> Phake Nick <c933103 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Speaking of route color, I wonder how one would tag routes that have
> their
> > color representation containg multiple different color elements, like
> color
> > stripes, or a color for text on top of another background color, or such.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:osmc:symbol comes to my mind in
> this context.
> Do you have an example where this is actually necessary?

Theoretically this could apply.  For example in my old reference regarding
transit tagging, my 1990s example of the 58X Sunset Highway and 57 Forest
Grove routes could have been further subdivided into network=deer, and
colour=orange, as TriMet formerly divided its bus network into six or seven
"sectors", despite the routes all being uniquely numbered in the system at
the time.  For the sake of being able to publish a pocket schedule,
extremely long routes that ran contiguously with the same number were
sometimes split.

Like the "purple rain" 12 Sandy Boulevard and the "orange deer" 12 King
City was a single contiguous route in the 1990s, which is now just the 12
Barbur/Sandy Boulevards route, largely following the 1990s "sector split"
route, and even in the sectors era, still worked as a single route in
trimet's trip planning kiosks.  However, on the printed schedules and
headsigns, the two were distinct routes, and if the Trimet 12 still ran
that way, I'd definitely map the eastbound as to=Portland and to=Portland
International Airport, and the westbound as to=Portland and to=King City as
four distinct routes now, with the appropriate network and colour tags.
Now it's not necessary mostly because Trimet dropped the sector system and
started operating its entire district as a cohesive network, which had the
knock-on effect of making the two 12 routes a single 12 route on rider
schedules.