[Tagging] Highway=rest_area on bicycle or foot routes ?

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Sat Jan 2 13:15:16 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jan 01, 2021 at 05:04:52PM -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 3:53 PM ael via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 01, 2021 at 12:53:36PM -0800, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> > > Re: "just a bench, dustbin, an (empty) information table and bicycle
> > stand."
> > >
> > > That's certainly not a highway=rest_area, because a rest_area always has
> > > toilets.
> > >

> > Really. Then I have mistagged a ridiculous number of laybys in the UK
> > incorrectly. The "layby" tag disappeared from the josm presets, and
> > rest_area seemed to be the new option. I have since changed back to
> > using layby anyway, but all those older edits are still rest_areas.
> >

> Are you talking about something like what is seen at 36.06693428420621,
> -97.34452551596351?  I'd call that amenity=parking and hgv=yes.

If in the UK, I would probably tag that as a layby, although most are
just an extension of the main highway rather than having a separate way.
I suspect I might tag that one as a service way + parking + layby.

Here is a small UK layby: https://cloud.disroot.org/s/YAaktLknpRRaoYe
There is a stand selling strawberries at one end, but that is not
typical and is only there for a very few days in the summer. I probably
picked a bad example in that laybys seldom have even that level of
occasional 'facility'.

ael