[Tagging] is explicit segregated tag needed on all ways allowing cyclists and pedestrians?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Jan 2 17:37:41 UTC 2021

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:segregated since 2011 claims that
"This key has no default value and should be tagged on all shared ways!"

It seems to me that I misunderstand something or that recommendation should
be modified

case 1, unpaved paths:

in many cases both cyclists and pedestrians are allowed on unpaved paths
tagging may be for example

highway=path
bicycle=designated
foot=designated
vehicle=no
surface=dirt

for something that looks like
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2017-07_R%C3%A9serve_naturelle_nationale_de_la_baie_de_Somme_10.jpg

It seems to me that segregated=yes is extremely rare for unpaved paths,
and explicit segregated=no is not wrong here, but I would not claim
that it should be tagged.

I would say that for unpaved surfaces it is safe to assume segregated=no,
OK to tag it, but I would not strongly encourage it.

In other words, surface=unpaved, surface=dirt, surface=sand and other
similar values indicate segregated=no

case 2, nondesignated + designated use:

there is plenty of paths that are primarily for pedestrians, but with
allowed use for cyclists

typical tagging may be along lines of

highway=footway
bicycle=yes
surface=asphalt

such path may look like
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Krakow_3Maja_Park_Jordana_widok_05_A-579.JPG

In this case segregated=no is clear, as in case of designated bicycle space
on path it would be bicycle=designated, not bicycle=yes

Similarly for

highway=path
foot=designated
bicycle=yes

highway=path
foot=yes
bicycle=designated

highway=cycleway
foot=yes

Or is it actually strongly preferable to have explicit segregated also in this cases and
QA/Validators/editors etc should demand an explicit segregated=no (or =yes) tag
in such cases?