[Tagging] is explicit segregated tag needed on all ways allowing cyclists and pedestrians?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Jan 2 20:43:48 UTC 2021

Jan 2, 2021, 21:25 by voschix at gmail.com:

> I see no problem with the "segregated" key.
> It is only applicable to paths that carry explicit signs for bicycle=designated and foot=designted.

I would not go so far, explicit segregated=no on highway=footway bicycle=yes
is not incorrect

> It should be surface-independent, because there are (infrequent) cases of unpaved segregated foot-cyclepaths (I have seen them in parks).

How the segregation looks like in such cases? Lane "painted" with other color of gravel?

> I have also seen cases of segregated foot-cycle paths where the pedestrians have pavement, and the cyclists do not, or vice versa.

But in such cases at least one of foot and biycle tags was tagged as designated, right?

> Your first example (> Réserve naturelle nationale de la baie de Somme> )>  looks like a highway=track; motor_vehicle=no/private. Are you sure that it is a designated foot-cycle-path.

I have seen path exactly like that (not this one, it was an example photo as taking
one was not feasible), correctly tagged as highway=footway + bicycle=yes

JOSM for example in such case demands explicit segregated tag what seems
pointless to me.

>  So this would avoid the segregated yes/no issue.

So you think that for say highway=footway + bicycle=yes segregated tag should not
be mandatory?

> For unmarked footpath-like paved ways like the one in your Krakow park photo I presume that cycling is not  explicitly allowed, but tolerated.

It is explicitly allowed (otherwise bicycle=yes would not be correct) by park rules
that were established by city government.

>  Is there any signposting in your Krakow example?

In some parks rules, including "no vehicles, except bicycles" are signposted.
In some parks signs are not placed or were damaged since placing them many years ago.
Local laws applicable can be found in the repository maintained by local government.

>  In absence of explicit signs, I normally tag them as highway=footway; bicycle=permissive, not bicycle=yes.

bicycle=permissive is incorrect tag in cases where cycling is illegal but tolerated and it
is anyway not applicable in this case as cycling is explicitly legal.

> In this case, JOSM has recently started insisting on having the explicit segregated tag.
> Insisting on "segregated" tagging when there are no blue disk signs or equivalents is debatable.indeed

That is my problem, and I want to change that. This validator complaints triggered this thread.