[Tagging] RFC 2 - addr:interval

ipswichmapper at tutanota.com ipswichmapper at tutanota.com
Sun Jan 3 20:01:18 UTC 2021

The "geocoders should guess" section only applies when an addr:interval tag hasn't been specified. In this case, I have decided that there should be no "default value" of addr:interval, but rather geocoders can either guess if it is a range/single address or they can simply not do ranges at all.

I have updated the wiki page to make this clearer.

Furthermore, I think this should be in the proposal, because I proposal also describes what happens if the tag is absent. Some tags give a default value (for example, with no surface tag it is assumed to be paved).

>  I doubt, though, that more complex intervals like
the 190-10|190-20 would ever get implemented. It's complex and
again involves some guessing about which part actually contains
the interval. There would have to be several thousands of uses
to make it worthwile. I'd strongly recommend just sticking with
mapping one address point per address in these cases instead of
getting carried away with defining some complex format.

I have updated to wiki page to clarify that there are two sections of this proposal:

1. The main section "addr:interval"
2. The additional section with the three options.

If you look at the page now you can see the two sections very clearly.

We could choose one of the tagging schemes from the second section. Or, the second section could be completely scraped, and if you want to interpolate hypenated addresses, you create two nodes (lowest hypenated address and highest hypenated address) and draw an addr:interpolation line between them. That should solve that problem.

What are people's thoughts? If enough people think it is a good idea, the second section could be scrapped completely. This does mean, however, that you will have to use addr:interpolation if you want to imply a range of hyphenated addresses.

Thanks,
IpswichMapper
--

3 Jan 2021, 17:05 by lonvia at denofr.de: