Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 21:03:52 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 2 Jan 2021, at 20:59, stevea <steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:
>
> Nonetheless, correctly, mappers SHOULD follow our wiki [1] definition for this abandoned:  "where the rails have been removed but the route is still visible in some way."  This is followed by the clearly-stated "If the rails are still in place use railway=disused instead."

In discussions the consensus AFAIK was that disused means the thing can be put back to use without a significant amount of repair work, while abandoned means it is probably degraded. Abandoned for rails removed is what we used to tag (although the newer variant would be “dismantled“), and it was also used for situations where the tracks are still (maybe just partly) there but are far from usable (e.g. trees growing between the rails).

Cheers Martin