stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Jan 4 02:29:46 UTC 2021

I continue to stroke my chin and say "hmm" at this, but Paul's notion makes sense as a question to ask.  The question it asks is "Do I map (or not map) THIS specific not-there-any-longer AND has-something-else-there-now thing?" (making it harder or easier for me to map).  Which begs the question "Do I as a mapper get to make this determination on a whim, or are there clear rules I should follow because people have thought about 'this' and suggest that I 'tag like this' (or actually TELL me to)."  Lots going on here.

We are those people inventing "this" right now.  Meanwhile, I continue to stroke my chin.  Hmm.  It's like "anarchy" vs. a good invention that fits in well with our tenets.  Sure, I'd love for us to invent the perfect solution.  Then, "hmm."

Let's recall that abandoned/razed/dismantled/whatever railways have faced this conundrum for many years, and look, we continue to revisit this question at international / global tagging levels.  What do we get?  Hmm.  Mostly.