[Tagging] Proposed feature - RFC - Military Bases

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 23:43:02 UTC 2021

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 at 10:00, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 at 09:12, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> IMHO, absent any word from the LWG, I would leave any existing warnings
>> as-is, and not mention it in your proposal at all.
>>

> Fair comment, thanks Brian.
>
> As that appears to be the only major sticking point, I'll strike that
> section through, & move the proposal to voting stage

Follow up on this, as I have just received the following response from
Legal Group:

*"OSMF and LWG are not in a position to evaluate the laws of all countries
in which there may be mappers or mapping activity.*

* As the Terms of Use say:*

* "You are responsible for your own actions: You are legally responsible
for your edits and contributions, so for your own protection you should
exercise caution and avoid contributing any content that may result in
criminal or civil liability under any applicable laws. Although we may not
agree with such actions, we warn editors and contributors that authorities
may seek to apply other countries’ laws to you, including local laws where
you live or where you view or edit content. OSMF generally cannot offer any
protection, guarantee, immunity or indemnification."*

* This general caution applies to both mapping of military installations as
well as mapping of other sensitive areas (or mapping/surveying in general).*

* I see no reason to alter the text of this paragraph. Feel free to link to
it or quote it in any wiki pages, but note that LWG does not regularly
review or monitor the contents of wiki pages for legal accuracy."*

I will NOT be modifying my proposal in any way to reflect this, but should
the current "warning" on the military= page
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:military now possibly be amended to
reflect this, possibly as a template to go on all military pages?

Should we raise an RFC to discuss it further?

Thanks

Graeme