[Tagging] maxspeed:signed=no - new proposed tag

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Tue Jan 5 01:46:25 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 15:43 2021-01-03, Martin Koppenhoefer đã viết:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 3 Jan 2021, at 22:17, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>>
>> (1) we have no tag for "there is no maxspeed signage applying here"
>

> we do, source:maxspeed is about this

source:maxspeed=* seems capable of indicating the presence of a default
speed limit, since apparently the "<country_code>:<context>" syntax is
only for unsignposted speed limits. [1] But in the scenario Mateusz
describes -- an intrepid surveyor tags a street beforehand to flag it to
armchair legal analysts -- how would the surveyor know which context to
assign? Also, wouldn't it be strange to see source:maxspeed=* on a
feature without maxspeed=*?

The "<country_code>:<context>" syntax is also overly simplistic. It's
telling that no one has attempted to extend the table at [2] with values
for the U.S. Each state has plenty of default speed limit contexts, some
of which defy the OSM tagging model. [3]

There seems to be significant usage of *:signed=no for things like
maxweight, opening_hours, and name, so extending the scheme to maxspeed
seems obvious to me. If the legal analyst bot can find-and-replace
maxspeed:signed=no with the appropriate maxspeed=* and source:maxspeed=*
afterwards, so much the better.

>> (3) tagging exact max speed is often de facto impossible as it
>> requires remembering that there are separate rules for ...
>

> impossible? You have to know the local rules, that’s far from impossible, it’s rather a requirement that you can safely drive on these roads.

Not everyone who surveys for OSM does so behind the wheel or even has a
driver's license. Not many data consumers can consult a local licensed
driver for the correct answer on demand. ;-)

Even someone who does drive may not have a full grasp of default speed
limits in their jurisdiction. Where I learned to drive, default speed
limits are the norm in rural areas and some suburbs, but even the
official driver's handbook that you're required to familiarize yourself
with [4] doesn't capture the whole default speed limit decision tree. [5]

[1]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:PermanentLink/2084425#How_to_tag
[2]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:PermanentLink/2084425#Context_Specific_Values_.28Default_Limits.29