[Tagging] >74% was: Feature Proposal - Voting - Rescue Stations

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 00:22:09 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 6 Jan 2021, at 00:27, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think I would be more comfortable approving new brand new tagging for a niche topic on a low vote total.  I'd be less comfortable with that for a proposal that changes existing tagging.

realistically, existing tagging cannot be changed by a vote. A vote may show significant opposition, but even if there isn’t in the voting it might come up later. For an actual change in tagging you need editor buy in from both, the software and the people editing the map. As it stands, a vote to change existing tagging can be seen as a way to raise awareness, similarly to a mailing list discussion (because the typical voting participation doesn’t allow to use it as a justification for more). I guess a more common way for changing a tag definition is people here or elsewhere (forum) agreeing that the meaning of a tag has shifted or been diluted by its application, and subsequently changing the wiki definition without a vote. Or small but steady changes to the wiki without any discussion by some lone warriors and when it becomes an issue 5 years later, it’s too late ;-)

I don’t see a problem with 8 people “unnoticedly” declaring a tag “deprecated”, which could be mitigated by requiring 10 or 15. I guess if we made it something like 200, it would indeed change, as this meant you would have to actively campaign on many channels trying to find enough votes.

Cheers Martin