Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Wed Jan 6 06:49:20 UTC 2021

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 07:27:12 +0100
Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 7:13 PM Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at gmx.at> wrote:
>

> > However, I am not convinced that a completely razed railway has to be
> > tagged as such. Why would that be the case? If things are removed from
> > the world we delete them as well usually. Are there other man-made
> > features with long-lasting effects that get demolished (without
> > replacement)? (How) Do they get mapped? I have no example but I would
> > presume such things exist (that are not historic) like industrial
> > plants, mines etc. It might be more advantageous to improve tags that
> > describe the remaining effects than mapping non-existent things.
> >

> This park
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=de%20schorre#map=15/51.0877/4.3916
> is an abandoned quarry. AFAIK, there are no tags referring to its previous
> life as a quarry for clay.
> On this Mapillary photo
> https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=51.0911145&lng=4.385478299972223&z=17&focus=photo&menu=false&pKey=VTDOc6u8vKWb7y5QohG6oA,
> you can see the impact on the terrain.

If it would be significant enough then it should be tagged with
something historic=*. But if it isn't then we should not. OSM is not an
interactive history book about human impact on the world. Adding a
description and mentioning the past history of the clay pits might
be an alternative here but in general I personally strongly prefer
linking (and improving) respective external sources such as Wikipedia
articles in such cases.