[Tagging] Changing proposal process rules - RFC

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 6 09:31:03 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-06 10:12, Marc_marc wrote:

> Le 06.01.21 à 09:45, Tomas Straupis a écrit :
>
>> voting will have no
>> credibility as it is now: why should anyone listen to decision made by
>> some random few people who do not understand what they are deciding?
>
> It is with this kind of argument that uneducated people have been denied
> the vote for years.
> do you have an example of a proposal that was accepted/rejected and
> should not have this status because of a large vote of "not experienced
> enough" or you switched to abstract philosophy ?

Yeah, Brexit...

Nobody has to present any credentials to join OSM, and nobody has any
idea of the background and expertise of anybody else (in general). Most
contributions to tagging discussions are "I prefer this" or "I do it
like that" with very little explanation of the rationale behind the
preference, or of justification why the opinion presented should be
weighed any differently to any other opinion. Expert discussions around
cartography, IT and data modelling (for example) are squeezed out as
they are often started after many cases have been added to OSM, and
arguments about current practice, ease of use for mappers prevailing
over consumers, not wanting to do "bulk updates" etc always win in the
end. So our process has no way to seriously incorporate domain
knowledge. Of course there are people out there who DO have that
knowledge, and participate in the discussions; but they do that as
individuals, and not because their knowledge makes them special in any
way. Your vote counts for exactly the same as mine.