[Tagging] RFC 2 - addr:interval

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Wed Jan 6 18:47:58 UTC 2021

On 1/6/2021 12:28 PM, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:

> Right now it is unclear is addr:housenumber=1-31 used in meaning
> "addresses 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... to 31" or "single address '1-31'".
>
> There is no way to specify this, and both meanings are in use.

Example -- 1-31 Helen Drive Middletown NY
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/694324667

Nominatim currently processes this as both a single atomic address
(1-31) and as a two-element list (1; 31). Searching for 1-31 Helen
Drive, 1 Helen Drive or 31 Helen Drive will find this building, but
searching for 3 Helen Drive will not. (Nominatim does get close because
it's a pretty short street.)

And I don't think Nominatim's behavior is wrong here because there's no
information about how to interpolate the bounds. Is it all numbers, or
just odds? As it happens there's another building tagged 8-32 Helen
Drive across the way, so probably it should be odds. But there's no
currently documented way to specify that.

I've addressed situations like this with hacky mapping like
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/767379647 -- an address interpolation
way inside a building way to match all even addresses between 174 and
190, positioned behind an entrance node tagged with the signed address,
174-190. It's ugly but it works. Can we do better than that with current
tags? Could any new tagging schemes help, without breaking current
functionality?

Jason