[Tagging] spring:type=hot deprecation

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Fri Jan 8 07:59:20 UTC 2021

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 08:17:20 +0100 (CET)
Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> I set its status to deprecated as it
>
> 1) was already described as deprecated ("Please use natural=hot_spring instead")
> 2) competing tag is significantly more used
>
> See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:spring:type%3Dhot
>
> Feel free to revert that if someone disagrees

I am not strictly rejecting this but here are my 2ct:

There was a proposal for natural=hot_spring that was met with a lot of
criticism and was never put to vote. The usage numbers are 1:20 but
this has to put in perspective since iD has added support (only) for
natural=hot_spring so it is not really surprising that it has
significant more uses (I did not check though if chronology matches
that assumption).

Combined they have about 3500 uses. This is not prohibitively many to
manually check and change them to spring:type=hot (I have done similarly
laborious edits in the past). IMHO the only argument for not doing
that, and/or trying to standardize spring:type are the support by some
data users (I only know OSMand and that can easily be changed...).
I personally think that natural=hot_spring is a mistake (I have no
history with either of those tags whatsoever and only became aware of
them by your email but it seems obvious to me after skimming through
the proposal discussion).