[Tagging] spring:type=hot deprecation

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Fri Jan 8 15:31:28 UTC 2021

My apologies if this has been covered previously.

natural=water is described as the tag for “Any inland body of water, from natural such as a lake or pond to artificial like a moat or canal” where “The type of water body can be specified with water=*”.

This hot_springs thread got me questioning why springs aren’t therefore included in the water tag?  Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_of_water) suggests it, along with a few other water features that are currently tagged as “natural=*”, should perhaps be tagged as “natural=water, water=*”

Specifically, the following inland water features listed in “natural=*”:

wetland (perhaps an ambiguous one though as coastal wetlands aren’t inland)
glacier (ice is water)
spring (and therefore hot_spring too)

are all defined as bodies of water. So why are they not included in the water tag, which covers “any” inland body of water?

Cheers,

Nathan