[Tagging] Sewage, tailings, and evaporators

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 16:30:31 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 3:41 AM Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

Mines use ponds to separate ore from water. Evaporation ponds at
> contaminated
> sites remove the water from hazardous waste, which greatly reduces its
> weight
> and volume and allows the waste to be more easily transported, treated and
> stored. (...)"

I agree that this is obviously not a salt_pond.  I am thinking this case
ought to be something like basin=evaporation.  It would go along nicely
with the other values of basin (detention, retention, infiltration).  Since
the goal of such a pond is to evaporate the water and leave the waste
behind, I'm pretty comfortable calling this a case of landuse=basin as the
presence of water is only temporary during the evaporation operation.