[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:shop=rice for rice shops

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 23:02:06 UTC 2021

Mariko,

Thank you for suggesting this new tag. I agree with others in the community
that this tag makes sense in many countries.

Besides in Asia, I suspect there might be rice-specialty shops in other
countries where this is the staple crop, such as parts of West Africa. And
years ago in Latin America you could find specialized rice sellers at
public marketplaces, so perhaps those still exist.

Since this tag is already being used and it is uncontroversial, it is not
required to go through the whole proposal process and voting, though it's
certainly fine to do so if you want to.

In fact, a few of us have already made page to document it:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Drice

It is also already mentioned on the Phillipines Mapping conventions page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Philippines/Mapping_conventions

-- Joseph Eisenberg