[Tagging] Deprecate healthcare=centre

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 01:06:33 UTC 2021

We should discourage the use of healthcare=centre because it has no more
meaning than healthcare=yes currently.

I've researched the tag healthcare=centre because this was being used in
Germany to tag covid-19 vaccination sites.

Besides that use, it has been used for almost any kind of healthcare
facility, from a village health post with 1 or 2 community health workers
(and no nurses or physicians), on up to a hospital with surgical facilities
and inpatient beds.

The biggest usage is in India, where a large import has used this tag for 4
very different features, which vary widely in size and complexity from
inpatient hospitals to rural health posts with only 2 community health
workers:
1) "Community Health Centres" which have surgeons and inpatient beds (see
amenity=hospital)
2) "Primary Health Centres" with doctors and nurses (see amenity=clinic)
3) "Sub Centres" with just 2 community health workers (see
amenity=health_post)
4) "Dispensaries" a private general doctor's office (see amenity=doctors)
See Public_health_system_in_India#Sub_Centres on Wikipedia and
Dispensary#Primary_care_(India) on Wikipedia, and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:India_Health_Facilities_Import

In France it is often used, perhaps because "centre" is often a part of the
name of any kind of health facility. A common use is for a group of private
medical practices (e.g.
https://www.doctolib.fr/centre-de-sante/clichy/centre-municipal-de-sante-marc-chagall
- , but also for laboratories, medical imagery, clinics, and even for head
lice removal.

1) Health centre with several doctors, different specialiteis;
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7638070435 -
https://www.drancy.fr/vie-quotidienne/se-soigner-a-drancy/les-centres-municipaux-de-sante-382.html
2) Dentist office: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7647584433
3) Medical imagery: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2530846752
4) Laboratory: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1282084777
5) Head lice removal? "Bye bye nits"
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6742326108

It appears that we already have replacement tags for most of these uses,
except perhaps for:

1) head lice removal - I think we discussed this a few months back, and
there is a proposal for healthcare=lice_removal -
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Head_lice_removal_salons
- though amenity=lice_removal might be better

2) Group of medical practices. Normally I would think that might just be
the name of the building, and then each office can be an amenity=doctors or
another specific tag, but perhaps the situation in France is different?

3) Medical imaging (x-rays, ultrasound, CT scan, MRI)
 I'm shocked we don't have a tag for this. There are a number of specialty
imaging centers in my city, and I send patients there when I want them to
get an MRI, CT scan or X-ray or ultrasound.
Tags in use include healthcare=radiology though this is a bit ambiguous -
perhaps amenity /healthcare=medical_imaging is clearer?
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/healthcare=radiology

For the vaccination centres we already have the proposed tag
healthcare=vaccination_centre

And we've recently discussed that we need a tag more specialized than
healthcare=laboratory, for places where you get tests done.

But I think that even now we should discourage use of healthcare=centre as
providing no information beyond "heathcare=yes"

-- Joseph Eisenberg