[Tagging] Deprecate healthcare=centre
joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 01:06:33 UTC 2021
We should discourage the use of healthcare=centre because it has no more
meaning than healthcare=yes currently.
I've researched the tag healthcare=centre because this was being used in
Germany to tag covid-19 vaccination sites.
Besides that use, it has been used for almost any kind of healthcare
facility, from a village health post with 1 or 2 community health workers
(and no nurses or physicians), on up to a hospital with surgical facilities
and inpatient beds.
The biggest usage is in India, where a large import has used this tag for 4
very different features, which vary widely in size and complexity from
inpatient hospitals to rural health posts with only 2 community health
1) "Community Health Centres" which have surgeons and inpatient beds (see
2) "Primary Health Centres" with doctors and nurses (see amenity=clinic)
3) "Sub Centres" with just 2 community health workers (see
4) "Dispensaries" a private general doctor's office (see amenity=doctors)
See Public_health_system_in_India#Sub_Centres on Wikipedia and
Dispensary#Primary_care_(India) on Wikipedia, and
In France it is often used, perhaps because "centre" is often a part of the
name of any kind of health facility. A common use is for a group of private
medical practices (e.g.
- , but also for laboratories, medical imagery, clinics, and even for head
1) Health centre with several doctors, different specialiteis;
2) Dentist office: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7647584433
3) Medical imagery: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2530846752
4) Laboratory: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1282084777
5) Head lice removal? "Bye bye nits"
It appears that we already have replacement tags for most of these uses,
except perhaps for:
1) head lice removal - I think we discussed this a few months back, and
there is a proposal for healthcare=lice_removal -
- though amenity=lice_removal might be better
2) Group of medical practices. Normally I would think that might just be
the name of the building, and then each office can be an amenity=doctors or
another specific tag, but perhaps the situation in France is different?
3) Medical imaging (x-rays, ultrasound, CT scan, MRI)
I'm shocked we don't have a tag for this. There are a number of specialty
imaging centers in my city, and I send patients there when I want them to
get an MRI, CT scan or X-ray or ultrasound.
Tags in use include healthcare=radiology though this is a bit ambiguous -
perhaps amenity /healthcare=medical_imaging is clearer?
For the vaccination centres we already have the proposed tag
And we've recently discussed that we need a tag more specialized than
healthcare=laboratory, for places where you get tests done.
But I think that even now we should discourage use of healthcare=centre as
providing no information beyond "heathcare=yes"
-- Joseph Eisenberg
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Tagging