[Tagging] Classifying hospitals (Was: Deprecate healthcare=centre)

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 05:15:52 UTC 2021

 Following on from Joseph's discussion re healthcare=centres, I'd also like
to have a similar discussion re hospitals.

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 11:56, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If it has inpatient beds where you can stay overnight with a nurse on
> call, 24/7, if needed, then it is an amenity=hospital.

I've been doing some work on hospitals while also talking to our State Govt
about getting approval to use their data-base to update everything
state-wide.

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 11:34, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> In parts of the UK, "cottage hospitals" (small hospitals with a minor
> injuries
> unit but no A&E, and with some beds) are being phased out and replaced
> by "integrated care centres."

We have similar sounding Health Centres in rural areas, with some named as
"Hospital" & others not. The Health Dept classification seems to be that if
it has an Emergency Room, it's a Hospital; if not, it's only a Clinic.

Since it is already hard enough to distinguish amenity=clinic from
> amenity=doctors, it would be hard to add a third level of outpatient
> facility larger than a clinic. (I would be interested in a new tag for
> outpatient surgery facilities which have specialized operating rooms but no
> inpatient beds,

One of the things that I've noticed while working with them was that there
are a number of places tagged as hospitals.

The doctor's offices, dental surgery, ambulance stations, pharmacies & vet
surgery!, that I found, are simply wrongly tagged, which is easy to correct.

I'm a bit concerned though about the other places that are more or less
correctly tagged as hospitals.

As above, I think that we'd all agree that a "hospital", be it either
Public or Private, accommodates inpatients in a bed with 24 hour nursing
care, & also has an Emergency ward.

However, there are also a number of others:

Day Surgery Centres, where you go for an in & out surgical procedure, but
where you don't actually stay overnight. Some of these do have a limited
number of beds available so you can stay, if you're not well enough to go
home, but that's apparently pretty rare.

Private facilities that aren't equipped for any form of surgery or
emergency, but are intended to treat people for things like drug &/or
alcohol dependency.

Similar to these, dedicated mental hospitals.

Should we distinguish better between places that you can go to for
emergency medical treatment, & others that can't do anything for you, than
just an emergency=yes?

That would then lead to a discussion on carto re rendering them.

ATM, all "hospitals" are rendered with the mini-Swiss flag / reverse Red
Cross (which I know is also somewhat controversial). Should we also look at
changing that?

Thanks

Graeme