[Tagging] Classifying hospitals (Was: Deprecate healthcare=centre)

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Sun Jan 10 10:31:01 UTC 2021

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 15:15:52 +1000
Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Day Surgery Centres, where you go for an in & out surgical procedure, but
> where you don't actually stay overnight. Some of these do have a limited
> number of beds available so you can stay, if you're not well enough to go
> home, but that's apparently pretty rare.

*=clinic IMHO, even if there exist a few (rarely used) beds for
inpatients; or *=hospital if these beds are not so rarely used
or it is impossible to determine how often they are used.

> Private facilities that aren't equipped for any form of surgery or
> emergency, but are intended to treat people for things like drug &/or
> alcohol dependency.
>
> Similar to these, dedicated mental hospitals.

As a European I don't get why "private" is mentioned so often in these
discussions. It is completely irrelevant who pays for the treatment
when discussing the treatment facility itself. I bring this up because
there are of course numerous facilities as described above that are not
private around here, e.g., public needle exchanges and consulting
facilities for addicts.

While I don't like the variety for healthcare=* tags the most
conforming approach would be to add extra values for these things.

> Should we distinguish better between places that you can go to for
> emergency medical treatment, & others that can't do anything for you, than
> just an emergency=yes?

I don't see how something else would improve anything. In case of an
*emergency* I would definitely try any place that remotely looks like
there could be medical staff be around :)

> That would then lead to a discussion on carto re rendering them.
>
> ATM, all "hospitals" are rendered with the mini-Swiss flag / reverse Red
> Cross (which I know is also somewhat controversial). Should we also look at
> changing that?

Off-topic here IMO.